Have you ever wondered if there is a good cheap alternative to GoPro? Well the answer is yes and I’ll tell you why in my below Geekpro 2.0 review. I would like to share with you my experience with this camera, what are the pros and cons and what can you expect in terms of quality and features.
If you’ve never heard of Geekpro then you’re missing out. I was suspicious too about it in the beginning, but then I read some online reviews and it looked like it’s worth to buy one and try it. What really attracted me is the cheap price and cool high quality features.
From what I saw, the Geekpro 2.0 provides a great value per dollar spent. What you get is full HD quality videos, an LCD display and lots of accessories for less than $80!!
Let’s Jump To The Review!
Product: GeekPro 2.0
My Rating: 9/10
If you’re looking for a cheap camera with a GREAT value for money then look no further, the Geekpro 2.0 is your best choice! I know that nothing can be compared to GoPro’s quality and features. BUT when you look at the huge price gap between the Geekpro ($63.99) and the Hero4 silver ($304) for example, you will definitely doubt the Geekpro capabilities, but on the contrary it was really crazy how awesome it operates and the quality it produces.
The other crazy thing here is the accessories you get for free when you buy the camera! It’s a big offering considering the price of the camera. Well yeah, I couldn’t believe it at first but here is the list of stuff that are included in the package:
Here’s What You’ll Get With The Camera!
1 x GeekPro 2.0 WIFI Camera
1 x Waterproof Housing
1 x Skeleton backdoor
1 x Handle Bar/Pole Mount
7 x Mounts
2 x Clips
1 x Helmet Mount
2 x Batteries
1 x Adhesive
1 x Tether
1 x USB Cable
1 x Charger
1 x Cloth for cleaning the lens
1 x User Manual
What To Expect
No big mounts are included, so you might want to order them separately. It’s cool that they provide an extra battery because one is not enough especially when you’re outdoors and planning to shoot for a couple of hours.
The Geekpro 2.0 is capable of capturing videos in full HD 1080p at 30 frames per second, also in HD 720p at 60 frames per second. It has a 12Megapixels sensor that can take high resolution still shots.
A HUGE advantage is the LCD display that is integrated in the camera. It’s extremely useful and can really make your life easier when changing settings and framing your shots. It also has WiFi capabilities and has a mobile app that you can use to control your camera!
I have used the Geekpro 2.0 on many trips and outdoor activities and here is my personal feedback on this amazingly cheap but capable camera.
What Are The Pros?
- The price is very consumer friendly, I didn’t expect to have all these accessories and features. A big advantage for anyone who wants to get an action camera at an affordable price.
- Video quality is amazingly great, looking at the cheap price of this camera. 1080p at 30fps or 720p at 60fps. It’s crisp but of course not the same 1080p you get from a GoPro. It also has a wide angle (fish eye effect) so you can capture more of your surroundings.
- Sound quality is also great! of course better without the waterproof housing. I used the skeleton backdoor when I wasn’t near any water and the sound was really good. I have noticed that sometimes the wifi affected the sound quality, it’s weird since I don’t see the relation between the two, but it was ok.
- The LCD display made it more convenient to navigate through the menus to change settings and modes. The display menu is well done and not over complicated.
- Battery life is also good, batteries are at 900mh and you get 2 with the camera. Charging each battery takes around 3 hours and each battery lasts around 2 hours! They can last the whole day if I’m shooting intermittently which is a great advantage for travelers.
- The WiFi lets me connect to my phone through an app called iSmart DV WiFi. It enables me to control the camera and change modes without the need to press any buttons or use the LCD.
- The waterproof housing can do down to 30 meters, it’s great for advanced scuba divers. You might also need to look for compatible filters to get the best color quality when underwater.
- Great customer support, very friendly and responsive. They will immediately replace your camera in case of any problem.
What Are The Cons?
- The Geekpro 2.0 supports MicroSD cards for up to 32GB only. Cards over 32 are not compatible and the camera will not give any error if you used one BUT it will not save the recorded videos. Happened to me when I first bought the camera since I normally use 64GB cards on my GoPro.
- Navigating through the menus using the buttons was not easy. It can a little complicated so I prefer to use the LCD or the mobile app.
- Full HD videos can be improved so don’t expect the same full HD quality you get from a GoPro, but honestly it’s great compared to the price you pay.
- Videos and photos can be a little overexposed when camera is facing direct light.
As you can see, there are many more pros than cons in this Geekpro 2.0. I have tested it during many activities and I have to say that I’m really impressed with its capabilities looking at the low price of the camera.
The Geekpro 2.0 is compatible with the GoPro mounts so if you already own a GoPro and have all the mounts, you can still use them for the Geekpro as well so no need to buy additional ones.
The Geekpro 2.0 has really served me during my trips and provided nice quality videos and photos. I captured great moments with a camera I never expected to perform at this level. It’s a small action camera that can be a CHEAP alternative to GoPro.
If you’re not an extreme junkie and don’t need to have higher resolutions than 1080p then I would recommend you to get the Geekpro 2.0. It’s true that it cannot be compared to GoPro but can perform at a high level and the quality will really shock you. so if you are on a budget and would like to own an action camera then give the Geekpro a try, you will not be disappointed.
There you have it folks!
If you have any questions or would like to share your opinion on the GeekPro 2.0 review, then just leave me a comment in the comments section below and I will be more than happy to help! 🙂